I've had my Busch And Mueller 6-volt Sidewall generator lighting system for about eight months now and my impressions are mixed. I had originally purchased the system with the Lumotech Fly Plus headlight and DT Toplight XS Plus taillight. The system worked fine here in the States, but once I landed in Saigon and reassembled my bike, things began to go wrong.
One night in Hoi An, on the Viet Nam coast, the headlight gave out. I traced the problem to a broken wire and I was able to remedy the situation without too much trouble. Then, in India, the taillight quit. Again, another broken wire.
In Turkey, I crashed into some street furniture and broke one of the reflectors on the taillight. I guess I can't blame B&M for that, though. Luckily I was able to buy a replacement from Peter Whyte Cycles.
The system let me down again during a wild dog attack at 4 AM near Angor Watt in Cambodia. I didn't even bother to try to fix it that time, I just pulled out a flashlight and strapped it to my front rack.
In Portugal, the little clip that holds the Fly's lens and bulb in place broke rendering the headlight useless.
The little plastic roller that makes contact with the tire and turns the generator doesn't work well in wet weather so I bought the optional wire roller, which does.
It seemed that the B&M system just wasn't made to stand up to the rigors of 'round-the-world cycle touring.
Still, I really like the idea of a permanently mounted system so when I got home to Seattle, I tore the system apart, bought a different headlight, the B&M Lumotech Plus, and rewired the whole thing. So far, it's been working okay, though I've had to replace the leads to the tailight already.
The individual components I have now seem to work fine. The headlight gives plenty of illumination and the LED tailight shines brighely enough. The generator itself has never failed, and puts out plenty of power at a paltry 5 or 6 Km per hour. The big problem is the wiring. The tiny wires and their connectors are just too dang fragile. I've beefed up the splices with special conductive glue this time around and we'll see if that solves the problem.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.